Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Away from the screen

At my job, I have a fair amount of 'paperwork'. This paperwork is all done on computers. It is rare that I use a paper for anything other than notes to myself for when I get to a computer (no, I do not have my own, I just have to find an unoccupied one and use it).

I was finishing up my work. It was late, I should have already been gone. Several things that should have been routine wound up not. Whenever this happens, it creates more paperwork. Which means I wind up staying late. I enjoy the 'not routine', but having that much not routine in one day had left me tired and wanting to just finish up and go home. I had no interest in talking to anyone. Most times, there is no one to talk to.

I was just about done, less than 5 minutes and I would have been gone. A coworker came in. She asked if she could tell me something when I had a chance. I said that was fine, expecting her to start talking as I was typing. I quickly realized, that what she was going to say was personal. I sat for a minute, wishing to just continue my typing. And then I did what I should do. I asked if she could wait 2 minutes so I could finish and give her my undivided attention. And she waited, and I actively listened while she talked to me.

I knew I was doing the right thing as I was doing it. I have been thinking about what I did, and how much it is not  being done in the current times. It is too easy to continue typing and 'clicking' through screens while others are trying to tell us something. Important things that mean a lot to them. Our cell phones and tablets are too easy to play with, or check messages.

There was nothing in the conversation that I needed to focus on that wouldn't allow me to continue typing, or using my phone, or whatever other technology. But it was something important to her. And she, and others trying to really express themselves, need undivided attention. We are all that important.

No comments:

Post a Comment