Friday, May 20, 2011

He cracks me up

People have a tendency to remember Obsidian after they meet him.  While some remember his size, more remember his actions.  "Spit fire", "pistol", "character", "piece of work", and other such phrases are what I hear.

Jet took the boys out to breakfast.  There was a little girl at the next booth who was about 2 years old.  The whole time they played with each other.  When it was time to go, they kissed each other.  The child is a flirt.

The week after Easter, Obsidian asked to eat candy from his Easter basket shortly after breakfast.  I told him no, not until after lunch.  About 20 minutes later, Obsidian leads me to the backdoor and tells me "Look at that.  Somefing in driveway."  I go outside to figure out what he is talking about.  I hear the door close and the deadbolt turn.  I stand at the door looking in the window.  Obsidian is quickly pushing a chair up to the counter, getting his Easter basket down, and sitting on the floor helping himself.  Pyrope walks into the kitchen at about this time.  I motion and yell to him to open the door.  Obsidian tells him not to and offers him M&M's.  All the while looking at me with a glint in his eye.  Pyrope decides to get the M&M.  I get the spare key and let myself back into the house.  Then on principle of the whole situation, take away the rest of Obsidian's Easter basket permanently and some of Pyrope's M&M's.  Obsidian was not impressed with this consequence but kept his comments at a minimum.  I had to repeatedly explain to Pyrope why he was losing candy (bottom line, you should listen to Mom, not your brother).  I tell Jet the story after the kids go to bed.  He laughs.  Hysterically.  Even by that point, I was somewhat laughing.  It would be very funny if it wasn't my kid.  My kid that is not even 3 years old.  That I have years of parenting to go.

If Pyrope wakes up at night, if he can't immediately find us (any time we are not sleeping in bed ourselves).  He cries and walks in circles.  And typically starts to seriously panic.  Then there is Obsidian.  He'll wake up and we will here him calling "Mommy!  (or Daddy, depending on his mood)  Where are you?  I wake.  I no sleeping!"  Then, in a minute or two later, a head will pop out from the door of the room we are in.  "Peek-a-you!"  (note, he has never said peek-a-boo, it is always peek-a-you).  He will then reiterate the fact he is not sleeping.  Sometimes he will say he is hungry, thirsty, had a dream, just wanted to see us, or whatever else was on his mind.  Most of the time, this is so humorous, that we laugh on the spot.  Which doesn't help stop it from happening again.

So while I can see some...challenging... parenting moments in my future (as I do with Pyrope, but for entirely different reasons).  I just can't help but laugh.  Even when I simultaneously want to pull out my hair.  I just hope I can keep saying that.

He does crack me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment