Saturday, July 9, 2011

Pegasus

Recently Pyrope and his best friend, A, have decided that her mother's minivan is really a magical pegasus.  After everyone gets in and her mom starts the car, it turns into a pegasus and flies-- not drives.  While they are going to their destination, a running story or commentary goes on about it. 

Since this has started, when I drive my car, Pyrope and Obsidian tell me how they wish I had a magical pegasus as a car.  I ask them why I can't.  I've been told you can't pretend the same thing.  That's not fun!  So my car has become a digger, Lightnigh McQ***n, and various other things, with story lines to go along with it.  At the end of each trip, I get told that it is not "really right" and that they will have to "try again to find the perfect pretend for my car".  Okay, you do that.  It is easier to take some days than the 8,000 times I sing the ABC song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and 5 Little Ducks (the current favorites, but actually these songs rotate on a regular basis, so it isn't that bad.  They have a large repertoire of songs, and favorites change regularly).

We were talking with someone whose son is 2 years older than Pyrope.  He was saying how he can't go anywhere in the car without his son having to play on his iPh**e or some sort of hand held game.  I said that both of our kids lose interest, and we wind up talking about pegasi (is that the plural of pegasus?), other such stories, or signing songs.  Even on long trips, portable DVD players and video games don't entertain nearly as long.  He said "They know what a pegasus is?"  Um, yeah.  They also like to be a cyclops around the house.  And dragons.  And knights.  And crusaders.  Please don't bring up Musketeers unless you want to see random objects turned into swords and then the moves that go with it (and pretty please don't bring it up if there is not the space to do the moves).

Some days, I do get tired of singing.  And making up the stories.  Or even listening to the stories.  My music or silence in the car I sometimes long for.  But then I think of video games that would get me that peace.  I'll take my songs and stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment