Thursday, September 2, 2010

The big 2-0

Obsidian finally hit the magical weight of 20 lbs*.  It took him 6 months, literally, to gain this last pound.  For a child who is 25.5 months old, 20 lbs is still not much.  He is the weight of your average 8 month old, and height of your average 17 month old.  The reality of it is, there is nothing special about 20 lbs in particular.  Since Jet and I believe in rear facing car seats as long as possible because it is the safest way to travel, Obsidian being 20 lbs doesn't mean anything in particular.  Even giving a larger dose of ibuprofen happens at 22 lbs.  Nor am I convinced that Obsidian won't dip below 20 lbs again, most of the time when he gains some weight, he then loses a little.  Also because of his 15q11.2 microdeletion, I worry about him suddenly becoming morbidly obese between the ages of 2-4.  So while I want him to gain weight (and height), I don't want him gaining weight too quickly at this point.  Then he will be looking at strict calorie restrictions and how to not develop an eating disorder because it will be the only way to prevent morbid obesity at a young age.  That would be such a cruel twist of fate.  I keep coming across doctors (from various disciplines) that want to try to get more calories in him.  Since he eats a lot, and I already use many strategies to maximize the calories that he does eat, the suggestion of an appetite stimulant comes up.  At this point I will give him whatever food he requests (within reason), but I just don't have a good feeling about giving him an appetite stimulant.  This is the child who can eat 3 slices of pizza and a chocolate milk, and then be asking for more food 2 hours later.


***Note: 20 lbs is 9 kg

No comments:

Post a Comment