Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Better than Christmas

This spring I started using this book,  Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons, with Pyrope.  Tomorrow we will finish lesson 60.  While the directions for teaching the lessons are clear, I would not say that they have been "easy" for Pyrope to learn.  He eventually gets what is being taught, but it has not been easy.  For a while, it was both of our most dread portion of the day.  It has got significantly better.  Tears are no longer a daily occurrence with each lesson.  And it has been a long time since I've had to put him in time out if he refused to participate.

However, the gains he has made have been incredible since he started.  Everyone has noticed.  He is legitimately reading now.  When I started this, I thought there was no way that he would be reading at a "solid 2nd grade level" by the time he finished as the introduction said he would.  Now, I'm thinking he will be.  Or will be darn close to it.

It started a few weeks ago, but Pyrope started to put together that reading is a way to convey information to people.  In the last couple of days, he has started to grasp the extent of it.  And is in awe.

As he was going to bed, he looked at the window fan.  Obsidian was with him, and I was in the bathroom, listening:
"Listen Obsidian.  I will sound this out.  ooooo-fffff.  Off.  Lllllll-ooooo-wwwwww.  Low.  Hhhhhh-ooooo. No, not right.  Hhhhhh-iiiiii (short i sound).  I try again Obsidian.  Hhhhh-iiiiii.  Hi." pause "Obsidian!  These words tell you what the fan will do!!!!  Let's try!!"  Squeals of delight ensued when the fan did what the switch said.  "Mommy!  Come fast!  Look!  You can read what it will do!!!"

When he got his new scooter for his birthday, very soon after getting it he questioned Jet.
"Daddy, did you put this together?"
"Yes."
"Did it come with instructions to read?" said with wonder and awe in his voice.

At the zoo:
"Mommy!  Look!  Menus!  Read them to me!  They have too many words that are too long for me to sound out.  I think the menus will tell me about the animals." (He meant signs.  He never has been interested in them before, so I think "menu" was just the word he found that was most appropriate.)

At a restaurant:
"Daddy, why do they have so many words for each thing?  There are more words than they are?  Why?" (Looking at the description of each item on the menu)

Incidents like this are repeated over and over thoughout the day.  Each time, a joy and awe is there when the message is discovered.  There are written words, some of which he can figure out on his own, that are all around him.  Telling him things.

While he is beginning to grasp the power of the written word, it is just the tip of the ice burg.  I love reading.  I have always hoped to pass that on to my children.  Pyrope would sit and listen to me read, and generally be content if not happy.  But he never really engaged.  He wouldn't look at the pictures and tell me a story.  He rarely was able to answer simple questions about the story.  Rarely, if ever, was he able to come up with some prediction of what was going to happen next in a story.  I was concerned but knew there was nothing I could do other than keep reading to him, and have him see me read for my pleasure (and information).  I hope that he continues to discover just how powerful reading and writing can be.

Now I love watching my kids experiencing new things.  To catch a glimpse of the magic that I no longer see.  Or have no longer been seeing.  I love watching kids (mine and in general) experience things like Christmas.

Watching Pyrope discover the power and magic of reading, it is far better.  While it is taking me longer, sometimes significantly longer, to do everything right now (from turning on a fan, to draining the tub (did you know that above where the lever is for draining the tub a word is stamped in the metal?  I didn't until I had to help sound it out.), to shopping, to walking around the zoo, I will gladly do it.  He has started to read himself, Obsidian, or his toys books.  Sometimes reading the words, other times by looking at the pictures.

To see Pyrope discover reading is awesome.  This magic does not seem to grow old for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment