Friday, June 17, 2011

Observations for personal use only

Recently, I was at work, in an elevator and someone asked me "So when is the little one due?"

"I'm not."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to.  I'm sorry.  Well you know... You must get that a lot."

Um no.  Please let the doors of this elevator open so I can get the heck out of here.  The worst and at the same time most humorous part of the conversation was she had no idea that her last sentence was way worse than the first part of the conversation.

Then today as I was dropping off Pyrope at gymnastics camp. A mom that I used to see regularly but now don't see that often was there dropping off her daughter who is a few months older than Pyrope.  Her younger daughter is 20 months old.  My best friend was standing next to me, she was dropping off her older daughter and had her 2.5 year old with her. 

My best friend says "E and L have really grown a lot since I've seen them last!"

I chime in "They really have."

Other mom says "It is fun to see how much kids have grown when you haven't seen them in a while.  It is hard to see in your own kids.  A, B, and Pyrope have really grown too.  Obsidian's the same as always."

Now I understand that Obsidian who will be 3 in less than 3 weeks is smaller (as in shorter and I'm guessing lighter) than her 20 month old daughter, but I really don't like it so bluntly and vocally observed.  Even less than the fact that I could lose some weight around my mid-section.

As we were leaving, the mom that made the comment went out ahead of us (as she was carrying her daughter, and Obsidian and my best friend's daughter were messing around).  We were joined by another friend that we see regularly.  My best friend made a comment in her not so subtle way of asking me if I was okay, repeating the comment of the other mom of how much that must hurt to hear.  The other friend said before I could reply, "Now no one would make a comment like that!  It is so... so..."  My best friend said something along the lines of it was a direct quote made in the last 5 minutes.  I just said some people don't think before they speak.  This person was not trying to be mean, just making an observation.

Some observations are best kept to oneself.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and I'm very sorry. Those both must have hurt a great deal!

    ReplyDelete