Friday, March 4, 2011

How I write

One of my quirks is choosing what I use to write with.  I have a vast array of pens and pencils.  I spend money all the time to "just try" a new pen or pencil.  

For as long as I can remember, I have thought about the physical act of writing and what I use to accomplish it.  When I was in kindergarten and younger, I only liked to use crayons or wide markers.  Nothing else.  I didn't like how the others felt in my hands.  In 1st and 2nd grades, I was only allowed to use "Laddie" pencils.  I did not like these blue pencils.  First off, they had no eraser.  Second, they were wider and I didn't like how it felt in my hand.  However, they were the only thing I was allowed to write with in school.  3rd, we could use any #2 pencil we liked, and I was okay as long as my pencil was a hexagon one with a good eraser.  4th grade came ball point pens.  I discovered that I only liked how certain brands of pens write.  How smoothly they write on the paper, how much I smear the ink while I'm writing (ahem, my grip is not that great on my pens/pencils, which is amusing considering my profession), the size of the ball of the pen, the color of the ink, the type of ink, they size of the shaft, exc.  Then enter in mechanical pencils, fountain pens, and dip pens.

I have definite preferences of what I use to write with in what circumstance.  Up until this fall, at work, I did my paperwork on carbon paper sheets (then tear them part and put each copy where it belongs).  I had a certain brand of "clicky" pen that I liked best.  I could use the pens they gave me at work, but I always had to go out an buy "my" pens.  We now do our "paperwork" on the computer for the most part.  I still need to write notes for myself throughout the day so I can remember what to write on the computer.  I hate my clicky pens for that.  I was having issues with them not writing when I wanted them to.  I've gone to mechanical pencils with a gel type clicky pen with a larger ball for items I have to actually sign (would not like to use this to write for any length as I would smear it and would go though too many pens too quickly).  I have specific pens I write on the calendar with, others that I like to jot down messages with.  If I am to physically write a letter, I still like my fountain pen.  It is more labor intensive, but I do like the results for a personal letter.

Jet thinks I'm nuts about this in many ways.  He loves nice pens, but does not have such, um, strong feelings for having the right (pun intended) pen or pencil for the specific job.

I wonder why I have such strong feelings on the subject.  I could care less if my shoes match my outfit.  Heck, I would be happy wearing a pair of athletic shoes or strap sandals (weather pending) all of the time (or boots if it is too cold outside).  I am somewhat mystified by people that have a lot of shoes and are always looking for more.  Many of them (and others) are probably mystified about my constant looking for, buying, and trying new pens and pencils (yes, I even have strong feelings of what type and brand of pencil I use). 

The oddest part of this obsession with how I write is this.  I'm dyslexic.  I do, by far, my best writing on a computer, by typing.  It is far more efficient.  I get more of my ideas out.  I can write them more concisely.  I was actually accused/suspected of plagiarism in college when I was asked to write an essay with pen and paper instead of on a computer (it was an English class, but part of the class was also on using word processing programs on computer, but due to a power outage, we had to write with a pen and paper one day in class.  My essay was so different than what I had been turning in, I had to sit with the professor looking over my shoulder as I typed a different essay later that week to prove I really could write as well as my previously written on computer papers).

Tonight, I came home from the store with a different type of mechanical pencil to try at work.  And a new pen.  I have no idea what I will use this pen for, but I want to see how it writes.  How it feels in my hand.  How it feels on different types of paper.  Sometimes I say it is a professional interest (which I can somewhat get away with).  But if I'm honest, I would do it no matter what my profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment