Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bad, good, or neither

This morning, I went up to the rec center.  Alone.  I tried to talk with the aquatic director, but learned something interesting.  Something that gave me hope that there is a reasonable explanation instead of out right discrimination with the swimming lesson and Obsidian thing.  There is a new aquatics director.  However, she was not there today.  I explained to the woman at the front desk my issue.  Her comment was essentially, "That sounds like a problem"  Which I take as a positive comment.  I will see where this goes.  I left my name and phone number to be called back about.  And if I don't get a call, I'm there often enough, I will run into her.  That is my "good".  I really try to be optimistic, and really try to believe that people do not so blatantly discriminate.

I have been thinking about what I'm going to say to Obsidian when the questions start.  And knowing him, they will.  I have some time, as for the next 3 weeks he will be in gymnastics class at the same time and will not see the little girl in Pyrope's class.  But Pyrope's swimming class has 3 more sessions after Obsidian's gymnastics is over.  Obsidian does not miss much.  He knows he doesn't go to swimming lessons at the rec center because he is too young to take them there.  He wants to be in a class with Pyrope and other kids he knows.  Jet and I are very careful with our wording of "too small" and "too young".  And we have consistently said "too young" for swimming.  And knowing him, he will realize the other little girl is about his age.  (If something has a height requirement, we tell him he is "too small", if it is because he is not old enough, we say "too young"... once again we are somewhat anticipating him always being very small but we don't want that to stop him or for him to use it as an excuse).  I want to be honest with him.  I want to teach him to defend himself.  There is a good chance that his height will remain a lifelong issue for him.  But he is 2.5 years old.  This potentially will be the first time I will have to directly address this with him.  And I'm not looking forward to it.  I want to set a standard tone from the beginning.  A positive tone, but one that does not put up with discrimination.

The bad is my MIL.  She is feeling worse since her last round of chemo.  She is not beginning to feel any better, and it has been over a week.  Most bothering, she is short of breath quite a bit (even just talking on the phone) and seems to be retaining fluid.  She is thinking of stopping chemo at this point.  Very shortly after it has shown signs of improving.  It is a choice.  And only hers to make.  But it is hard to watch.  Most specifically, it is hard for me to watch Jet have to go through it.  I don't interact with my MIL much.  We (the kids and I) see her once a year now.  The kids talk to her on the phone occasionally, but she is almost more abstract to them than a person involved in their lives.  I find myself praying for peace and acceptance.  I have a feeling at this point, that is the most I can do (I'm willing to do more, I just don't think there is anything to be done).

No comments:

Post a Comment