Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Preparation

Growing up, the first sign I saw of spring was the discussions revolving around Lent.  Each year, my dad in particular would ask us what we were going to do for Lent.  It could be something we were going to do or something we would give up.  Something to help us prepare for Easter.  A sacrifice, or a penance, to acknowledge what a wondrous gift God gave us in sending His Son here to earth as a sacrifice for us to gain eternal life with Him in heaven.  The penance is for my sins, my many sins throughout the year.  A sign that I am trying, that I want to be worthy of the rewards of heaven.  An acknowledgment that I will always fall short, but I will keep trying.

I carefully contemplate my options of what to do.  I want something that is challenging.  But I want to be able to do it.  It is more serious than the other "resolutions" or goals.  For this is also a gift of sorts.  As I've grown older, it typically becomes a 3 pronged gift.  I try to do something to grow my prayer life, something I give up or do, and then something I give to others that is beyond my typical.

This year, I will try to get to church once a week by myself.  Not that I need to be in a church to pray, but the quiet there allows me a focus I don't have in my life right now.  I will not use my computer until after the boys are asleep unless I have to do something specific.    I don't know what I'm going to do for others, but this is the one I'm least concerned about, as something always seems to come up.  I just have to look for it and be willing to act.

As I think about this each year, I know as I come toward this season of Lent, spring will be starting to come in full force.  This year, spring should be here in earnest.  So always, I think of these things, I think of hope, and life, and spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment